Thursday, September 8, 2016

SUCRÉ NOVEMBER 2

                            SUCRÉ NOVEMBER 2   

                                  
                                       Part 2


   Two days to his arrival, Bolanle called me begging me to remove the foetus that it was still possible, he said all sorts and devised every means to make me remove the baby. I thought of the risk in doing that. He told me he knew the best doctors and I should not be afraid. My world came crumbling down as he hung up the phone. I wept because I could not phatom what had come over him. This minute he told me to keep it another minute he's advising me to go for abortion. The idea that Bolanle was telling me to abort bore a whole in my heart. I believed he would have a change of heart as I went to visit him the next day. I pleaded with him to see reasons with me yet he was bent on his decision. I told him I was scared I may lose my life, he assured me it was nothing. So we went to the hospital to get the baby removed. The doctor gave us the analysis and cost. Bolanle couldn't afford it and suggested we went to his quack friend to get rid of the baby. I felt I could be bold enough to ask my father for the money for the abortion so I went home in anticipation.
                As my father arrived, I went to pick him and soon we began talking as he entered my sitting room in admiration walked about but I was not bold enough to tell him, I only asked him for more money than usual which he told me he would send to me and also let me know my family was still poor and reminded me I was here only because of the scholarship I was given. He told me they were all looking up to me as the first born of the family even though he had a son out of wedlock, he wouldn't want us to follow in that path. He advised me as he began leaving because he wanted to take a walk on the beach before his meeting the next day. Few months gone, Bolanle would not change his mind then I told my brother (the one born out of wedlock) he was furious at first then asked who the father is, I gave him full details and without hesitation, he told my father. I had graduated so my father told me to come home immediately. I knew what that meant and my father being the chief of the yourba land, I had disgraced him. So I tried reaching Bolanle before heading to the airport. He told me never to call him since I would not adhere to his word.
  
                 I was in Africa, Nigeria to be precise in two days. They welcomed me with my bulging tummy and my father told me how disappointed he was and how I have failed our family" sobs of bitterness enveloped me on hearing the sadness in my father's voice. Getting through to Bolanle proved abbortive, so I reached for his best friend whom I asked to direct me to Bolanle's house in Nigeria. I and my brother went to visit them the next day. Initially, they didn't believe it as Bolanle never told them anything. The mother made a hell of trouble vouching for her son and raining curses on anybody that would want to jeopardise their son's future or put her family under duress. They put a call through him before his mother will finish talking, he picked and affirmed to it and said he was not interested in the baby and refused to come home. I could not hide my anger as I walked out leaving my brother to conclude with them. 

             Most nights I would cry and hope he has a rethink. As it was so disgraceful seeing me with a big tummy and not married, my father told me to stay with my aunt in Osun State and leave the house in Lagos. My aunt was very nice and caring. She had a soft spot for me. The day I was to deliver my baby, I didn't know on time but I told my aunt I was seeing water in large quantities dropping, she had never had to go through that she Had no inclination so she told her husband who told me to pack my bag and rushed me to the hospital. I gave birth like the Hebrew woman but the after pain couldn't be explained as they stitched me. I was glad I could look at my baby. "My beautiful baby, I would adorn you with all my gold and silver" I said out loud.
The naming ceremony of my baby was on the 2nd of August 2015, lo and behold Bolanle was there as it was a taboo for the husband to be away during the naming of his child. Bolanle prostrated on the floor begging I and my mother to forgive him as my father was absent . Before that day, my uncle called him to threaten him if he doesn't show up at the naming without my consent and that was when he denied the baby saying "they should ask me who the father of the baby is". He apologized and the ceremony went on but the hurt in my heart could not be contained. After the ceremony I told him how I used all my savings to cater for my pregnancy, he begged for forgiveness but said we would not come back together as he was afraid of responsibility and was not ready to take care of himself. I told him never to speak to me or my baby after that day. He wouldn't listen, he would call and apologize but he was still not ready to have a family. He still wanted to have fun and live his life before settling down. Sometimes I wonder what changed the sweet loving Bolanle I used to know.  Then I started ignoring him. One day, he called my mother to tell her I have been ignoring his calls that he was going back to school as he failed some courses. I said to her that whatever one sows, that he will reap.
 
        A year later, I met Prince an igbo man, tall and sleek. He came to see my parents without hesitation as our relationship got serious, he told them how much he loved me and would want us to get married. Without much adio, we got married September 2nd 2015. Now Bolanle is trying to figure out his life and thinking of how to take the baby from me...
         Prince my husband took I and my baby girl Mitchelle to South Carolina for a visit and we are considering getting our permanent resident permit.
As I dropped my pen, I decided to let the world know about me and not go through the path I took.


My advise: Don't do anything for the moment
Moments don't last forever
No matter what you are going through, God is preparing a better place for you
Children are a heritage of the Lord.


This is a true life story even though I added a touch of fiction. The names in this short story is not directed to anybody. The names of the characters in this story is not their real names. Do not use this to mock anybody as it is a true life story. 


Credit: adorablefaces/Lelemma
            #Allofme

No comments:

Post a Comment